Hello! This is a very late TGIF because I’ve been busy hustlin for this Cinecoup entry that I would truly madly deeply love for you to go add to your watchlist, rate (hopefully positively – 10s make you my new BFF) and leave a nice comment.
If this film gets made I will be music supervising it – so you guys will be able to submit your songs to me for a film with a million dollar budget – meaning people will actually see it! As you are well aware – Canadian films take up less than 20% of Canadian cinema screens – truly a tragedy but not a surprise considering the lack of support there is for filmmakers outside Quebec. Cinecoup is doing a brilliant thing with this completely social media driven project.
Anyway, more on that in a full post at a later date – but for now – PLEASE go click on that link above and vote! You can help a Canadian film made by a team of WOMEN (another glaring rarity in film only highlighted by the fact that their entry is the only female team) actually get made. It goes without saying that women are the strongest and most active users of social media – so lets do this.
OH and FYI – all my mixtapes now have streams so go spend some time listening to the mixes (I’m having issues keeping the download link up because record labels are still stupid oldschool – if you have any suggestions for platforms that will solve this problem let me know). The monthly mix will be back in March now that I have a working computer again!
Now for the links:
- Ottawa Blues Fest lineup is out, and it’s pretty solid. I don’t like Ottawa enough to spend 10 days there but I’m thinking of heading there for a few key bands. Are you going?
- Japandroids beat out Nickelback in Canucks entrance theme contest. Thank god. At least hockey fans have good taste in music!
- Do you fit these bizarre musical stereotypes? This thing is so random and inaccurate, but it’s still funny.
- This is an incredible resource for music festivals.
- Six reasons it’s so hard to buy concert tickets. And this is why I mostly stick to local shows. Support your scene, don’t support ticketmaster or scalpers.
- Digital music report of 2013. This is absolutely fascinating.
- Music sharing declined 17% in 2012. This is great news for musicians – less free downloading – more buying. Of course this is also because of subscription services like Rdio. We don’t need to download anymore because we can actually access all the music we want for the price of a CD a month. I love technology.
- How human language could have evolved from the birdsong. Whoa.
- Copy this “Oscar– ready” approach to boost your social media star power. It’s so very true that after the Oscars last Sunday, everyone wants to be Jennifer Lawrence’s best friend, and everyone hates Anne Hathaway. I have felt this way for a very long time, and that article explains why. Jennifer has always came off as the most genuine REAL endearing human on the planet, there is not a damn thing about her that feels fake – Anne on the other hand has screamed pageant fake since she started making princess movies. No doubt she can act, but saying “It came true!” when you win an Oscar 10/10 people predicted you were going to win is as fucking gross and as fake as it gets.
- Budweiser sued for watering down beer. Is anyone surprised? This probably should have happened a long time ago.
- Finally, watch this INCREDIBLE video about social media in 2013. I am so excited for the Digital Media Summit during CMW: