All right, so – as the Putin link below explains – I’ve been trying not to give too much attention to the Olympics this year because I’m incredibly disgusted with the politics of Russia, and I think it’s a travesty that the IOC allowed such a brutal place to host these games. But, with that said, even I can’t deny my Canadian pride after that incredible nail biter of a game the Canadian women’s hockey team won yesterday. I only tuned in for the last 5 minutes of overtime, but damn – it was worth it. That has to be one of the greatest comebacks in hockey history.
There is a point where you have to separate the athletes from the politics, and acknowledge that it’s not fair to rob them of their one moment after 4 years of hard work because of the IOC’s massive mistake.
With that said, here are this week’s links:
- Q&A: Broken Social Scene Frontman Kevin Drew On His New Solo Album Definitely worth a read.
- IKEA’s Expedit line is biting the dust, and vinyl nuts aren’t happy about it This is sad, but I won’t complain until I see what the new replacements actually look like in real life. They just might be prettier.
- 5 Ways to Get Up to Speed on Anything, Fast Good advice.
- ARCHISET: An Illustrated Tribute to the Interiors of Classic Cinema If you dig film as much as I do, you’ll love this.
- CONTACT Turns Any Table Into A Musical Instrument This is pretty cool.
- Massive Attack’s ‘Teardrop’ performed with eggplant, grapes, and MaKey MaKey As is this. I love it when artists get creative with their instruments.
- 7 Habits of Incredibly Happy People The point about spending money on experiences rather than things is something I’ve found to be incredibly true. The more I’m out experiencing life and new things/people/places, the happier I am.
- Victim gets revenge on rapist by setting him on fire This has to be the best response to victim blaming and that horrific thing coined as ‘rape culture’ that I’ve ever seen.
- Putin Plays the World for Suckers, and Wins UGH. This guy is one twisted dictator. We think RoFo is bad, but at least he’s no Putin.
- Finally, watch Pussy Riot’s video for “Putin Will Teach You How To Love” aka the thing they were making when they were publicly WHIPPED by a bunch of Putin’s men for making music in the street. If you’ve ever wanted to see women whipped by men in a very non consensual, horrific way – check it out below. This is the country that is currently hosting the world. Shameful. Why didn’t the IOC let Iraq host the games in 2004? Not much difference.