TGIF is coming to you on Saturday instead of Friday because some big news landed in my inbox Friday and I had to reconfigure the post to include it!
The first being the AMAZING announcement of the first wave of artists for Toronto Urban Roots Festival – aka how I spend my birthday every year. Neutral Milk Hotel at a festival is basically the best.thing.ever. I just saw them at Kool Haus a few weeks ago and, while it wasn’t quite as perfect as the first time I saw Jeff Mangum sing these songs in a church, it was still my musical crack. Them + summer music festival = two of my favourite things together.
PLUS, Violent Femmes! Andrew Bird! JENNY LEWIS! Sam Roberts. Steve Earle. Born Ruffians. Hollerado. Gogol Bordello. Local Natives. The Strumbellas. Devin Cuddy. And it’s only gonna get even better with the next announcement. I am pumped.
Oh also, I answered some Q’s for FS Local this week, read this to find out more about my favourite Toronto places.
Now, for the links:
- The Constantines – aka the favourite band of almost every Canadian male in the music industry around my age – have decided to reunite. I’m hoping I will finally understand their raving obsession by getting this chance to see them live!
- Macklemore’s useless apology: Grammys and the myth of meritocracy Love this.
- Pete Seeger, Legendary Folk Musician, Activist, Dies at 94 This was sad news but 94 is definitely a life well lived. And he left behind a world of amazing music, not just his own – but all the music from the musicians his work so profoundly influenced.
- Seven Questions for Bob Dylan A great article on my favourite man.
- See Jack White Unlock His Paramount Records ‘Cabinet-of-Wonder’ on ‘Charlie Rose’
- Daft Punk minus their robot gear Finally, we can confirm they are 40ish French white dudes.
- Why Women Should Hate the Patriarchy Instead of Each Other YES! The way women are still positioned against each other is so depressing, it’s inspiring to read an article like this. We need to stop allowing this competition against each other to continue. We shouldn’t be keeping each other down when we still have so much progress that needs to happen.
- An Open Letter from Dylan Farrow
- Choosing Comfort Over Truth: What It Means to Defend Woody Allen But seriously. Let’s not let someone’s fame cloud our judgement. Rape culture needs to end already.
- Finally, a Bachelor Contestant Exposes the Show’s Weird Sex Issues I watched this episode of this terrible show and was so disgusted by this guys incredible hypocrisy. How anyone can stand him is beyond me.
- What Career Should You Actually Have? Yes, I fell into the Buzzfeed quiz trap. For me they were actually fairly accurate, though. This test said I should be a writer – shocking!
- Which ’90s Alt-Rock Grrrl Are You? Alanis Morissette was my answer. Well I am a brunette Canadian.
- Which ’90s Alt-Rock Dude Are You? Beck. Well I’m no Scientologist but I’m still happy to get Beck.
- 20 Signs You Really, Really Hate People I don’t really hate people, but I definitely relate to many of these, and you probably will too.
- 8 Record Stores Every Music Lover Needs To Visit At Least Once One day I will take a globetrotting vacation and visit all of these! Surprised Rotate This! is the Toronto store that made the cut though… we have better.
- Elliott Smith Albums From Worst To Best I love seeing his name pop up in articles – don’t agree with this list because Roman Candle should always be #1 but really they’re all incredible, so there is no wrong answer.
- 10 Ways Companies Drive Away Talent A must read. There is a lot of truth to all of these, sadly. “A culture that rewards brown-nosing and punishes honest dissent. Most of us have seen organizations like this, where Yes Men and Women are exalted and passionate people asking tough questions are silenced. Life is too short to work in a place like that. The world is too big, there are too many meaty problems to solve, and too many brilliant people for you to collaborate with in trust-based, forward-looking organizations for you to waste another femtosecond among Godzilla’s handlers.”
- How Toronto got the CN Tower Now you know!
- Will Ferrell Launches Female-Focused Film and TV Production Company Um – YES!
- Little boy tells his mom he doesn’t want a birthday party because he has no friends to invite This sounds sad, but it will actually remind you of all the good in the world.
- Creationist Questions Translated. Hahahahhahahah.
- Finally, continuing on the creationist point, this is awesome: