Hey peeps! Happy weekend! Hope your week was lovely. The periods of sunshine have been glorious, even if they are almost always followed by rain. I’ll take 60+ degrees and rainy over 12 degrees and frozen. It’s finally beginning to feel normal in the city again.
I’m gearing up for another busy summer as festival season begins in a few weeks! Heads up, I’ll be doing giveaways for the first two festivals – Hot Docs and Canadian Music Week – so stay tuned.
Now, for the links:
- Why ‘My Husband’s Stupid Record Collection’ matters I agree completely.
- Where You Stand at a Show and What It Says About You Where I stand says nothing more than “I’m 5’1 and I can’t see shit all if I don’t make a point to get to the front.”
- CNN Wrote The Worst Kurt Cobain Lede Ever Yeah, that’s a good example of how not to write about someone who is no longer with us.
- Olivia Chow: To fix transit, we need a relief line — and more If you need even more reasons to vote for Olivia, read this.
- The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame of the Future With Nirvana just being inducted this week, this is an interesting read.
- MDMA could be a cure for tinnitus The idea of a cure for this nightmare of a disease is HUGE news – even if it means doing MDMA.
- How to Talk to Designers If You’re Not a Designer If everyone who ever worked with a designer or a creative of any kind could just read and follow this advice – the world would be a better place. I’ve had to experience first hand just how awful some clueless fools treat designers. It’s a horrific thing to witness the arrogance of laymen who truly think they’re designers.
- How not to talk about rape culture, as demonstrated by Q with Jian Ghomeshi Yeah, maybe don’t give crazy people a national audience to air their psychotic misogynistic views – that’s a Fox News trademark – don’t steal it, Q.
- The Talk – A new sex ed for boys This is so great, if only it could be implemented everywhere.
- Dear parents, you are being lied to Seriously – vaccinate your kids. It’s a disservice to the entire population – particularly the kids with allergies to vaccines – if you choose not to.
- David Letterman Retiring From ‘Late Show’ After 22 Years This was big news to me! But then again, as soon as I heard it – it made perfect sense. He waited for Leno to be off the air – he no longer has a nemesis he enjoys stealing viewers from – I love that he waited until just after Leno was kicked out (again) to announce it. Dave will always remain the gold standard whom I compare all late night hosts to. His harsh sense of humour is sadly a rarity in the hosting department these days.
- Tina Fey and Amy Poehler Will Play Sisters in New Comedy The Nest My ladies are back together. I couldn’t ask for anything more (well, other than hoping it’s actually good!).
- 19 Hard Things You Need To Do To Be Successful Get to it.
- Skin Tight Jeans and Syncopation Music theory is pretty cool.
- Music Criticism Is Not “Lifestyle Reporting”: A Response I posted the original article in the last TGIF with some mixed feelings, and I definitely love this response and agree with him completely. Music is about emotions and how it makes you feel – not about technical terms.
- Bluesfest Lineup Announced Check it out! Might be worth the trip up north to Ottawa this summer.
- Here’s a (crap quality) video of Dave Grohl, Krist Novolselic, Courtney Love and Kurt’s mom and sisters accepting Nirvana’s induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. The reaction to Courtney is of course interesting – but it’s nice that she’s squashing the beef (for now) with Dave. I especially love his mom saying “He’d be so proud – he’d say he wasn’t – but he would be.” Truth, right there:
- Gotta throw in more videos of the ceremony because it was a truly inspired choice to have some of the best females in music taking Kurt’s place onstage for the performances – St. Vincent, Lorde, Kim Gordon, Joan Jett? You know he would have loved this: