Hey Friday! Hey friends! Are you ready for a month of non-stop festivaling? I sure am. I mean, I’m dreading the lack of sleep and already feeling insanely overwhelmed, but this is generally the best month of the year, so I’ll take the ups with the stress.
Tonight I’m headed to the Summerworks announcement party, then I’m headed to Field Trip where I get to see Broken Social Scene, aka, all is well in the world.
Also, there’s still time to enter to win tickets to see TV on the Radio and Ziggy Marley next week, see the previous post for more details!
Anyhow, here’s a bunch of interesting reads to get you through to the sunshine, music, and fun that’s about to be your weekend:
- Top 5 things to do in Toronto this week [June 2 – 8th] ! – If you need more tips on what to do this weekend, check out my column over on Dose.
- Discovery: The Curators So how do we discover new music now? Interesting take on it.
- 29 sent to hospital from Avicii concert in Toronto Yikes. This is why I don’t go to EDM shows.
- Toronto ranked 4th most attractive global city And they’re talking about general living conditions, not how physically attractive the population is (as so many BlogTO commenters seemed to misunderstand).
- A brief history of Sneaky Dee’s This is great. I will forever love Sneaks.
- 6 Ways to Save Your Life — and Your Company “Actually, most of her generation will be leaving your company in its present form over the next decade. Why Because they know that if they work in your environment, within 10 years, they’ll be overweight, pre-diabetic, worn down by repetitive tasks, with burned-out adrenals. They’ll function at declining rates, finding it troublingly difficult to break the habits they’ve formed in your office.” Ain’t that the sad truth of office life.
- The conversation on fat-shaming is bigger than Louis C.K. It certainly is, but I appreciate that he was at least trying to give it some attention.
- Independent labels hit out at YouTube’s “unnecessary and indefensible” negotiating tactics Definitely a must read for indie artists.
- Beastie Boys ‘Sabotage’ Video Turned Into Vintage Comic As a Tribute to Adam ‘MCA’ Yauch This is awesome. I want a copy, please!
- 16 Habits Of Highly Sensitive People If you are anything like me, you’ll relate to almost everything on this list. Being highly sensitive doesn’t just mean I’m emotional and like to listen to Elliott Smith and have a good cry on the reg, it also means I’m super sensitive to pain, touch, smells, noises, light. Nothing gives me a bad headache faster than smelling someone’s perfume/cologne. Accupuncture was never the painless experience many claim it to be. If a food has an odd or slimy texture I can’t eat it. I always get annoyed at people who feel the need to put ALL the lights on – I’m also generally a night person for similar reasons. But for all the perceived downfalls, it definitely has its benefits. I’d much rather be sensitive than insensitive.
- Not All Men: A Brief History of Every Dude’s Favorite Argument Love this. #yesallwomen
- Let’s call the Isla Vista killings what they were: misogynist extremism Damn right they were.
- Elliot Rodger’s California shooting spree: further proof that misogyny kills But we also need to be aware that he was very, very mentally ill his entire life and it mostly went untreated. You can’t just blame the PUA community, as gross as it is.
- The Pick-Up Artist Community’s Predictable, Horrible Response to a Mass Murder But it’s still worth examining since he spent time there.
- Toronto police seek two men in sex assault, confinement case There may have been an update on this by now, but if not, please examine the photos and be safe out there, ladies!
- Paid apps gone free: This $50 app that teaches you to play guitar is now free Get it while you can! This is one of those rare times where I actually wish I had an iPhone or iPad. I kinda hate iPhone only apps, but this is a very cool idea.
- It Is Impossible to Believe How Mindblowing These Amazing New Jobs Are Hahahhah! If you’ve looked for jobs at all in the last 5 years, these parody ads will ring very true. Especially the low/no pay part.
- Finally, as if I wasn’t already excited to see BSS reunite this weekend, Kevin Drew will also be playing solo at the festival, and his new video with Zach Galifianakis and Feist is both adorable and hilarious: